Edible Homemade Cake

Last night for some reason i had the urge to make a homemade chocolate cake. Now let me point out i wanted to make a red velvet or carrot to which my husband replied "yuck I'm not gonna eat that" so rather then eat a whole cake myself i decided to make something my husband would eat! I looked up some different recipes and finally decided on a yellow cake recipe from a blog called Bakerella. (www.bakerella.blogspot.com check her out she does awesome things!!!) She had recently posted this cake recipe and it looked really good! I made three layers and then found a simple chocolate frosting recipe on another website (which i cant seem to remember so sorry whoever came up with this and is getting no recognition cause its sooo good) i couldn't stop licking my fingers!!!! I noticed while taking the pics that its a little lopsided but since this is My first homemade cake that is edible I'm o.k. with that! i just love how big it is! Enjoy!

yummy doesn't it look sooo good!
Moist Yellow Cake

1 cup butter/ 2 sticks (room temp)
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs (room temp)
3 cups sifted self rising flour
1 cup whole milk (room temp)
1 teas vanilla extract
1/2 teas butter flavor (i couldn't find this so good luck!)
Preheat to 350
Grease and flour three 8 or 9" cake pans
Using mixer cream butter until fluffy
add sugar and cream for 7 mins (thank goodness for kitchen aid mixer)
add eggs one at a time and beat well after each one
Add flour and milk alternately to butter mixture beg and end with flour
add vanilla and the impossible to find butter flavor
Put batter into pans and bake 25-30 mins (mine took the entire 30 mins)
cool in pans for 5-10 mins then take out and wrap in plastic wrap and cool completely
this keeps cake moist!
Choco Frosting
2 and 3/4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons unsweet cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter (room temp)
5 tablespoons evap milk
1 teas vanilla extract
Sift together sugar and cocoa
Cream butter until smooth
Gradually beat in sugar mixture alternating with evap milk
Blend in vanilla
Beat until creamy and smooth (u can adjust consistency with sugar or milk but i didn't need to)
FROST CAKE!!!
This turned out great but i had to double the recipe to be able to cover the whole cake but i did have quite a bit left over so u might wanna just do one and a half!! Let me know if anyone try it!!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

7 comments:

Becky said...

Yum! When are you serving?

Katelyn said...

Hold God, I want it now!

The Nelsons said...

mmmm we love homemade cake...you got inspired by the strawberry cake didnt ya? And you have motivated us into getting an icecream maker! I almost bought the one in your blog b ut I thought it would be cheap but now that I know you had a successful expereince I am definitly going to get one

Carrie said...

Good for you! That big ol chocolate cake looks delicious!

Tina Davis said...

i have to say i did get inspired by the strawberry cake!!but the icecream maker works wonderful so feel free buy the cheap one!! lol

Kari said...

Go Tina! that looks so good!

Jenni said...

yum!!

Post a Comment